The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) revised the 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) rates and conversion factor (CF) following changes finalized in the year-end COVID relief legislation. The new CF – $34.8931 – increases overall 2021 allergy reimbursement by 10%, up from the originally projected 9%. Higher payments for office visits and immunotherapy hold the most notable increases. Important 2021 MPFS changes for allergists include:
- A 3.75% increase in MPFS payments.
- A suspension of the 2% payment adjustment (sequestration) to March 31.
- Reinstatement of the Geographic Practice Cost Index work floor through 2023.
- Delayed implementation of the complexity add-on code for evaluation and management services (G2211) until 2024.
The College has updated our 2021 RVU and payment spreadsheets to reflect these changes.
- Spreadsheet comparing reimbursement for 2021 work RVUs to 2020 work RVUs
- Spreadsheet of 2021 RVUs for allergy codes
- Spreadsheet of 2021 RVUs for all CPT codes
The revised rates are available in the Downloads section of the CY 2021 Physician Fee Schedule final rule (CMS-1734-F) webpage.
The College’s Advocacy Council – we have you covered.