There are many types of health disparities – the differences in overall health and access to health care experienced among various population groups. These disparities may be affected by racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, geographic or other factors, which often overlap. This Resource Center focuses on health disparities specific to allergy/immunology based on racial factors and inequities. It presents relevant information, data, education and other resources to help health care providers close gaps and reduce disparities in the quality of care for allergy/immunology patients.
Originally posted Dec. 9, 2020; most recently updated May 30, 2023.
Statement on race disparities in asthma
The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology decries racial injustice wherever it is found. As physicians and healers, we know that racial disparities affect many aspects of life – often in the healthcare arena. We recognize that racism is a destructive force in our country, and we condemn it wherever it exists.
Proceedings of a Roundtable on Racial Disparities in Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergy
Atopic dermatitis (AD) and food allergies are more prevalent and more severe in people with skin of color than White individuals. The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) sought to understand the effects of racial disparities among patients with skin of color with AD and food allergies.
Explore research and perspectives from the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology about racial disparities in asthma and allergic diseases.
- Impact of Race on In-Hospital Outcomes of Patients Hospitalized for Asthma Exacerbation (May 2023)
- Place of death from asthma differs by age, race and ethnicity (May 2023)
- Not All Patients With Allergic Rhinitis See the Allergist – Who is Missing Out? (March 15, 2023)
- Proceedings of a Roundtable conducted by the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology on Racial Disparities in Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergy (December 2022)
- Letters – Asthma related disparities in emergency department usage and clinical outcomes among Spanish speaking Hispanic patients (November 2022)
- Racial disparities in food allergy anaphylaxis education and management among a nationally representative sample (November 2022)
- Defining Socioeconomic and Racial Disparities in Food Allergy (October 2022)
- Overcoming Barriers to Effective Management of Food-induced Anaphylaxis in Underserved Populations Through School-based Interventions (October 2022)
- Socioeconomic Determinants of Food Allergy Burden (October 2022)
- Health Disparities in Pediatric Food Allergy (October 2022)
- Food Allergies in Inner-City Schools: Addressing Disparities and Improving Management (October 2022)
Disparities in Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps Miniseries
Addressing diversity and reducing A/I heath care disparities
A word from ACAAI past president Luz Fonacier:
Addressing diversity and reducing health care disparities in allergy/immunology is one of my priority issues, and I hope that the work the College accomplishes during this year will carry on far into the future.
PIDD Podcast Miniseries
Webinar: Moving Towards Equity: Disparities in Food Allergy
In this webinar, our experts address moving the needle towards equitable allergy and asthma care for all patients and practitioners, in all communities – particularly communities of color.
Disparities in Food Allergy – Racial, Ethnic and Socioeconomic Considerations
New Website Spotlights Unique Differences of Eczema in People of Color
In a mutual commitment to address disparities in treating eczema in skin of color, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) and the Allergy and Asthma Network have partnered to create EczemaInSkinofColor.org, a campaign to aid physicians and patients in recognizing eczema in people with all skin types.
Addressing Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities in A/I Populations
The Allergists’ Foundation Community Grant Program
The Allergists’ Foundation has reimagined its programming to empower community practicing allergists on the front lines of patient care.
Disparities in Atopic Dermatitis Podcast Miniseries
This three-part miniseries for the AllergyTalk podcasts covers racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic disparities related to atopic dermatitis; the influence of skin color in diagnosing and managing patients with atopic dermatitis; and best practices for addressing disparities in care for patients with atopic dermatitis.
Asthma Disparities and Differential Responses to Therapy
Equity Equals Excellence – A Blueprint for Access
Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE)
February 4, 2021
Race and Genetic Ancestry in Medicine – A Time for Reckoning witih Racism
New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
October 23, 2020
Race, Ethnicity, and Age Trends in Persons Who Died from COVID-19 — United States, May–August 2020
CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
Asthma Disparities in America: A Roadmap to Reducing Burden on Racial and Ethnic Minorities
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
Telemedicine and emerging technologies for health care in allergy/immunology
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Clinical Pulmonary Medicine