New ICD-10 codes are here, and the College’s Advocacy Council has the info you need! The 2022 ICD-10 codes became effective October 1, 2021, so all claims with a date of service on or after October 1 should use 2022 codes.
A good free online ICD-10 reference is ICD10data.com. You can also find details on the new 2022 codes at the CMS website. When using the CMS resource, we recommend first looking up ICD-10 codes in the INDEX to Diseases and Injuries section and then reviewing the TABULAR List for specifics.
Codes new for 2022 (and effective now) of particular interest to allergists include:
- Cough codes: The old non-specific cough code of R05 has been replaced with more specific codes (R05.X).
- Cannabis-related codes:
- T40.71XX – Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of cannabis (derivatives).
- T40.72XX – Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of synthetic cannabinoids.
- Food allergy status: Z91.014 – Allergy to mammalian meats (Allergy to beef, allergy to lamb, allergy to pork, allergy to red meats).
- Proctocolitis has been revised from K52.82 to K52.29.
We recommend purchasing new coding books each year and have partnered with OPTUM360 to get our members the best prices. You can order your 2022 coding books now.
The Advocacy Council – we have you covered.