Every month we want to give a shout out – a high five – to a great member resource on the College website. This month, we want to highlight the great things we have to help you with clinical trials.
Did you know the College offers members a free course on Good Clinical Practice (GCP) through the CITI Program at the University of Miami? The course gives you the mandatory training that every investigator has to complete yearly.
“GCP is the foundation for all clinical investigators to understand the ethics of doing pharmaceutical trials,” said Bobby Lanier, MD, FACAAI, past executive medical director. “Understanding GCP, and having a certificate from the CITI group, would give anyone attempting to get into the specialty of doing clinical trials a big advantage. A new investigator finds it very difficult to break into this cloistered world.”
So how do you get started?
- Visit the CITI Program home page and create a new account.
- When you make your account, put your organization affiliation as the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.
- Go through the seven steps to add your info
- Once your info is in, you’ll be promoted to enroll in a GCP course.
- Choose “Good Clinical Practice Course, US FDA Focus.” That is the course that is free to College members.
- Finalize your registration.
- You’ll go to a page about your account. Under “American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology courses,” select the GCP course and get started!
If you get a little lost, that’s ok! There’s help to be found from the CITI Program.
The College also maintains a resource of current clinical trials that you can check out in case you or your patients want to get involved.