Why use immunotherapy shared decision-making?
- Ensure your patients get the immunotherapy treatment that best meets their personal preferences and goals.
- Improve patient compliance and health outcomes.
- Improve patient satisfaction and patient-physician communication.
- Protect your practice by having an immunotherapy informed consent discussion.
How to use the toolkit
As your patient walks through the interactive tool, they’ll find information on the risks and benefits of both subcutaneous and sublingual immunotherapy - and graphs showing the differences in each. The tool will also discuss the benefits of environmental controls and pharmaceutical options for treatment.
Your patient will be asked about their comfort level with being treated with needles versus tablets, at home versus coming to your office, cost considerations and other issues. They will be instructed to print out their answers at the end to bring in to your office for a discussion, or the tool can be used while your patient is still in the office.
Video: How to conduct shared decision-making
A video segment created in conjunction with the tool walks you through best practices in shared decision-making (SDM) - how to discuss treatment options with your patient and how to guide them in a decision that will be a good fit for their values and concerns.
Give these downloadable handouts to your patients who are considering immunotherapy. All are customizable with your practice information.
- Patient Flyer: Moving the Immunotherapy Conversation Along: Give this flyer to patients and encourage them to go online and use the SDM tool to determine the therapy that might be right for them. The handout provides the URL for the tool and requests that patients print their results to take to their next allergist appointment to facilitate immunotherapy discussion.
- Allergy Shots Fact Sheet: This handout provides information to your patient about what is involved in subcutaneous immunotherapy
- Allergy Tablets Fact Sheet: This handout helps your patient understand what is involved in sublingual immunotherapy
Should I Treat My Allergies With Immunotherapy?Send your patients to allergytherapy.acaai.org to use the online tool and continue the immunotherapy discussion.
Immunotherapy SDM Instructional Video
Patient Flyer – Moving the Immunotherapy Conversation Along
In partnership with:
Unrestricted Grant Provided by:
Explore Toolkit Categories
Our goal is to help you run an efficient and profitable practice. Whether you are looking for help with business policies and procedures, coding support, marketing tools or resources for your patients, you can find them here.